Sunday 12 January 2014

Book Review: “Is everyone hanging out without me? (And other concerns)” by Mindy Kaling


A bit late to the party but I never realised how funny Mindy Kaling is. I didn't watch the American Office (didn't want to try as I loved the British version) and I’ll be the first to admit that when I watched The Mindy Project when it began, I didn’t get it. After a recent re-watch, I haven’t laughed that hard in a while at a tv show. Especially the latest episode that aired in the US. I look forward to the next episode now as much as I do with New Girl.

DSC00683

So, to Mindy Kaling’s book “Is everyone hanging out without me? (And other concerns)”. I got this for Christmas and got straight to reading it that night. If you like your books structured and more beginning to end style; then this book may not be for you. Part autobiography, part random chat with your best friend, I personally really liked the way this read. 

Mindy (totally on a first name basis after this book) talks about her childhood, her rise to fame and random lists and observations in between which give you plenty of laugh out loud moments. I totally agree with her that men take forever to put on their shoes.

I really enjoyed this book and found it too funny to just laugh in your head.  If you don’t want to be known as the crazy lady on the bus/train, I recommend not reading this on public transport.

The only downside to this book for me was that it was written before The Mindy Project either started or just after as it is not mentioned at all. I’m pretty interested on her thoughts about her show. I demand a sequel!

This book gets a 4 out of 5 stars for making me giggle like a loon.

3 comments:

  1. I've been on the fence about reading it, but now I think I'll give it a go.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth a go for a nice light read :) x

      Delete
  2. Ooh have been wondering whether to read this and now really want to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete