Friday 18 May 2012

Dreams etc.

Right, I'm going to get a bit serious on you. No no, don't run away. I'm also going to distract you with pretty pictures (I love Pinterest).

So, I find it hard to understand why so many people these days are telling me that it's ok to be in a career that you hate. Thanks to the economy at the moment, I see people giving up on their dreams in order to survive. Which in these times is quite necessary, but I remain optimistic for the long run. It's just convincing other people that they don't have to give up and remain in a job they hate forever. 

78039006012703418_kETiAmqh_b
If you can't do this at work, then compromise for now and put this into practise in your life outside of work.

Now I'm not saying that you should go and quit your day job in order to find your perfect one because that's just unrealistic. And you really need to eat. I'm talking about having the faith in yourself to work towards your dream career whatever it may be. 

As a university graduate, it is realistic to go and get any job to start off in the working world and get some money in the kitty. This is coming from a girl who after completing her masters, spent a year picking up shoes off the floor in a very busy shoe department. Don't be a snob. Don't be afraid to get on your hands and knees to tidy up other peoples messes (but do be afraid of picking up shoes that are still warm from being tried on *shudders*). But the way to keep yourself going is to know that it will get better one day as long as you work hard. 

245235142179504982_mvwifgqc_f
Remember when the shops were full of glittery shoes? This is what my hands looked like during that time. 

Once you have your "any job", then you have the security to begin building up your experience and searching for something that makes you happy. I see too many people sticking where they are just because they don't believe in themselves or think that it's normal to not enjoy your job. That's why when I was looking for another job, I refused to look in the same sector. Why replace one horrible job for another? I stuck it out at my current one even though I wasn't happy until something better came along, which it eventually did. 

After a few months of getting on the first step of my chosen career, I quickly realised I was completely wrong. It isn't for me at all. But I'm sticking it out. Yes, this isn't what I want to do long term, but I had to make this mistake in order to realise it was a mistake. I'm learning a lot about a different side of the industry which will give me a stronger understanding and will eventually lead me to something that will make me happy. It gave me the courage to start this blog in order to give myself a creative outlet so I'm very thankful for my current job. Don't be afraid to make mistakes.

245235142179456486_9LUCK7sU_f
Pretty much sums up how I feel at work at the moment!

Don't even worry if you don't know what you want to do, just do what I'm doing: eliminating what I definitely don't want to do first! All I know is that I want to do something creative, we'll see what it will be exactly. Just have faith in yourself and be as patient as a saint (or a retail employee). 

Of course, even your dream job will have it's downsides - but as long it's something that when looking at the big picture makes you happy then that's all that counts. No job or career is perfect, you just need to make sure that the positives outweigh the negatives.   

Now that I've come full circle, I will end by saying be realistic and get a bill paying job. But don't forget about your dreams. 

226798531204097298_s6eHgWaX_f
I think this sums it up perfectly.

Rambling over from me and over to you. Tell me, are you happy with your career direction at the moment? Any thoughts on my ramblings?

4 comments:

  1. What a great post! Sounds like you're really determined and are being realistic. I hope your dream job comes along for you soon :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very honest and true - while I agree about not being proud and doing what you can to make ends meet, I don't think you should let your ambition die. My problem really at the moment is the same as you - I don't really know where I want to be or do! My visa restricts me from doing any further education (I have my bachelors but I still plan on doing my masters) or any formal training courses. That said, I enjoy my job and I get paid very well so I haven't got the urge to jump out my seat and job hunt right now either.

    Hmmmm...what to do, what to do! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall just have to both wander in vaguely the right direction and hope for the best :) x

      Delete